Art & DT
Art and DT aims to involve all children within a creative process, experimenting with a range of materials and mediums in order to spur their imagination and widen their understanding of how art is created. They will produce art in different forms, including sculpture and reflect on their own and others art work. They will also become aware of not only British artists but an array of artists from different countries and cultures who will inspire their own art work. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and build an appreciation and enjoyment of visual art.
Our aim in Art and Design is:
- To engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- To recognise as pupils progress through school, they should begin to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
Our aim in Art and Technology is:
- To develop creative, technical and imaginative thinking in children and to develop confidence to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- To enable children to talk about how things work and to develop their technical knowledge,
- To apply a growing body of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make prototypes and products for a wide range of users,
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques when making a product, whilst following safe procedures,
- To develop an understanding of technological processes and products, their manufacture and their contribution to our society,
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making things,
- To critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products, and the work of others,
- To understand and apply the principles of nutrition and to learn how to cook,
- To understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
Please see our Art and DT curriculum overviews listed below.